Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weekly Update

It's been a busy week.

I finished Parts 7 & 8 of Forget Me Not, a sew-along by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts.
 


Part 7 was my first attempt at partial seam construction. It was a breeze: I finished it the same day I started it.

Part 8 was a bit tricky. Since I piece by hand, I draw exact sewing lines and pin match them. This (and other considerations) means that I can't use most of the quick-piecing techniques that machine piecers use. So, I have to figure out what the finished measurements of each patch are and then mark those on my fabric. That's not a problem when the block only includes squares, rectangles, and triangles, but, as you can see, there's a very odd-shaped patch in this block. It took me a couple of tries to get that dark blue patch right. Once I got the patches marked and cut out, the sewing wasn't difficult. It was, however, a bit tedious because there were so many very short seams to match up (the smallest measurement in this block is 9/16").

I also got a bit done on Around the Town by Dawna Baker.
 


Saturday afternoon I got a sudden urge to crochet a tank top. I found a pattern online, and by midnight Sunday I had this:
 

 


It's the Not-Yellow Top-Down Tank by Kristen TenDyke. I made the solid section a bit longer than called for in the pattern for modesty's sake.

Today, I decided I'd had enough of quilting for a while (see, I told you it would happen) and pulled out the Blackwork Chessboard by Anne MacGregor.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the captcha, folks, but when I turned it off I got a ton of spam. Also, all comments are moderated to prevent any internet nastiness. However, I'd love to hear from nice people who don't have anything to sell. :)