Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mask of Colors 1, Batik Cascade, Da Capo, Wheat Fields


I did some more quilting on Batik Cascade (Batik Go-Round) by Karen Combs.

Swedish Weaving:

I finished the embroidery on the towel based on Wheat Fields from Learn to Make Monk’s Cloth Afghans by Marilyn T. Magly. All that's left is to hem the ends.


I pulled out Da Capo by Elizabeth Almond and got quite a bit done on it.

Cross Stitch:

Finally, I've started yet another new project. This one's Mask of Colors 1, a Colray Crafts chart by Michele Sayetta of Heaven and Earth Designs based on artwork by Linda Ravenscroft. As I said in this post, I'm not too happy with Ms. Sayetta's adaptations. However, I bought this chart and its companion piece at the same time as Joy of Computer Work, so I didn't know about the issues with her charts and I've fallen in love with the designs. So, I plan to stitch these 2 pieces and Joy of Computer Work and then never buy one of her charts again.

Hopefully, these won't be as bad as Joy of Computer Work. After careful study of the original artwork for both pieces, I'm pretty sure that the images on the patterns are the computer mockups rather than the original artwork this time. Also, there's no text in these designs. Moreover, I'm stitching them on 25-count linen rather than 28-count Murano, so the stitching's not quite as dense.

I'm beginning to suspect that I might have a slight masochistic streak, however. Besides the potential problems with the charts, these are the largest and most complicated designs that I have ever attempted. Mask of Colors 1 is 400 x 755 stitches. The chart is 48 pages long!

Anyway, here's what I've got done so far. I'm about 2/3 of the way across the 1st row.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the captcha, folks, but when I turned it off I got a ton of spam. Also, all comments are moderated to prevent any internet nastiness. However, I'd love to hear from nice people who don't have anything to sell. :)