Friday, November 18, 2011

New Project & Free Pattern - Dishcloth

I need some dishcloths, so I started knitting some. They’re as simple as it gets – just a garter stitch square knitted on the bias.


This is one of those ubiquitous patterns that get handed down through the generations, but in case you haven’t run across it yet, here it is:

With worsted weight cotton yarn and whatever size needles feel right to you* cast on 3 stitches.

Row 1: Knit.

Row 2: Inc by knitting into the front & back of the 1st stitch, knit across to last stitch, inc by knitting into the front & back of the last stitch.

Repeat rows 1 & 2 until the dishcloth is the size you want, ending on row 2.

Row 3: Knit.

Row 4: Ssk, knit across to last stitch, k2tog.

Repeat rows 3 & 4 until you have 3 stitches left, then bind off and weave in the ends.

I like to mark which side I do the increases and decreases on so that I don’t have to count rows.

*Gauge isn’t important on this project, so it doesn’t matter much what size needles you use. I used a size 10, but I knit loosely. You might want to try a size 11 or 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the captcha, folks, but when I turned it off I got a ton of spam. Also, all comments are moderated to prevent any internet nastiness. However, I'd love to hear from nice people who don't have anything to sell. :)