I basted my remaining 2 coasters together and started quilting one of them.
I started Happy New Year!, a Mini-Kats™ design by Linda Connors of Calico Crossroads®, adapted from the artwork of Kathleen Kelly of Kats by Kelly™. I have the entire set of these, and I figure that if I work on them during the months they represent I should be able to get them all stitched (but not finished) by the end of the year without getting too burnt out, especially as some of them are already done.
I also did some more work on Joy of Computer Work which is based on artwork by Randal Spangler and adapted to cross stitch by Michele Sayetta of Heaven and Earth Designs.
Finally, I pulled out yet another UFO. This one's a sweater called Soft Shoulders designed by Kathy Zimmerman. Here's what I had already done: It's the back of the sweater.
There are a few problems with this. First, it's been so long since I worked on this that I have no idea where I was in the pattern. Second, I was using an old set of needles that I don't like. Third, I used the wrong size needles on the ribbing.
I could probably have figured out where I was in the pattern, but the other 2 problems necessitate starting over.
Variations in manufacturing and materials mean that different sets of knitting needles will give you a different gauge even if you use the same size, so it's important to use the same set of needles throughout a project.
Most sweater patterns require that you use a smaller size of needles on the ribbing to make it cling a bit tighter than the rest of the garment. I find that with my
So, since this won't fit me properly and the needles would drive me crazy, I'm cutting my losses and starting over. I've cut the UFO loose from the ball of yarn and have put it away in case I need to rip it later for the yarn. I haven't frogged it yet; if i don't need it for the yarn I may see if I can make it into something useful.
Anyway, here's what I got done this week. Again, this is the back.