After 3 months of cross stitch, I’m ready for a change, so I’m switching to crochet for a bit. I’ve picked up one of my UFOs, the beautiful Morning Glory Afghan by Michele Maks. It was published in the March-April 1991 issue of Annie’s Crochet Newsletter. It measures 65”x78” and consists of crocheting, appliqué, and embroidery, so it’s quite a project.
I’d never kept track of the time spent on my needlework before starting this blog, so I have no idea when I started this project or how long I’ve worked on it. However, here’s what I have done so far.
The afghan consists of 4 panels. Each panel starts with 14 squares which are sewn together to form a strip. Then, one crochets along the edge of the strip.
After the panel is crocheted, it’s embroidered with cross stitches and lazy daisy stitches. I still have some embroidery left to do on the 1st panel.
After the panel is embroidered, then leaves and flowers are crocheted.
Two leaves are sewn to the back of each flower, and the entire unit is then sewn to the panel.
I need 28 blue flowers total for the afghan. I’ve done 8, 2 of which are sewn to leaves.
I need 28 purple flowers total. I’ve done 6, 1 of which is sewn to leaves.
I need 104 leaves. I’ve done 27.
I’ve also started a 2nd panel.
After the panels are completely done, they’re sewn together. Then another strip of squares is made and sewn to the edge of the afghan. Finally, a border is crocheted around the entire piece.
I’ve kept to the original colors for the most part, which is unusual for me. Normally, the first thing I do is change the colors. The only change I’ve made on this piece was to do the background in a light grey rather than the off white called for in the pattern so that it wouldn’t show dirt as easily.