Thursday, July 25, 2013

Weekly Update

It's time for a change.

I realized this week that my routine of doing at least a half hour of each type of needlework each week and spending at least 2 hours each day on needlework (I actually had a spreadsheet for this) wasn't working out. I felt like I was on a treadmill, and needlework was starting to feel like a chore. Yikes. So I sat down and figured out what works for me and what doesn't and how I'm going to approach my needlework in the future.

For starters, I've scrapped the spreadsheet. Needlework is much more relaxing when I'm not timing myself. I'm going to continue to do multiple projects because focussing on just one project bores me to tears, but I'm going to work on whatever I feel like for however long I feel like working on it. I'll also continue to do at least some needlework each day because it makes me feel more centered, but, again, I'm going to stop timing myself.

I'm going to continue working on my goal to use up all of my acrylic yarn, because seeing that huge pile of yarn that I don't want anymore stresses me out but I don't want to throw it away. However, I don't think that I'm going to set a yearly goal in the future; I've been feeling a bit trapped by this one. I don't like the feeling that I have to work on a project. I'm also going to continue to work on my household projects because I do need some new dishcloths, potholders, and towels. And I will continue with Pam Buda's sew-alongs because they're fun. ;)

So, other than the acrylic yarn and household projects, on which I will do some work each week, I'm going to do whatever I like whenever I feel like it for as long as I feel like working on it. I'm also going to try to work from my stash as much as possible, but I'll still buy new things occasionally.

Cross Stitch:

Of course, the first thing I did after deciding upon this new needlework philosophy was to pull out an unopened kit and start a new cross stitch project. :) It's Planetarius which is adapted from the artwork of Miles Pinkney.  The kit doesn't say who did the adapting.

I also did a tiny amount of work on the Rose Cross by Irene O. Thomas.

Swedish Weaving:

I did some more work on the final motif of the Feathers To and Fro afghan from Learn to Make Monk’s Cloth Afghans by Marilyn T. Magly.


I finished Part 3 of Nabby's Dowry, a sew-along by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts.


On the Octopus Garden Blanket by Georgia Vincent,  I wove in the ends on all of the free legs, the bow, and one of the octopi (Oscar). I also embroidered Oscar's face, which was a bit difficult because there were no directions on where to place the eyes and mouth and this was my first attempt at stem stitch.


My arthritis was acting up this week, so I didn't get as much crocheting done as I wanted to, but I did a bit more work on the tulip that I had started last week for the Purple Passion Throw designed by Vicki Marshall.


Finally, I started a new washcloth based on pattern #27 designed by Darla Sims from Leisure Arts' The Big Book of Dishcloths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the captcha, folks, but when I turned it off I got a ton of spam. Also, all comments are moderated to prevent any internet nastiness. However, I'd love to hear from nice people who don't have anything to sell. :)